Mobilizing/Coordinating Industry Support Of The Virtual Elimination Strategy
|Description:||Summary: The Council of Great Lakes Industries (CGLI) promoted industry awareness of the Great Lakes Binational Toxics Strategy (GLBTS) and voluntary opportunities to reduce persistent toxic substances (PTS); collected PTS reduction success stories from industry, and enumerated current industry commitments to reduce or eliminate PTS use and discharge.
Environmental Results/Products: CGLI expanded the list of industry stakeholders with whom they regularly communicate in order to increase awareness of the Great Lakes Binational Toxic Strategy and what the industry stakeholder can do to reduce emissions of toxic materials.
Industry participants revealed the existence of several voluntary PTS reduction programs. Some examples include the following:
● Niagara Mohwak replaced 37,000 mercury containing gas regulators in use by their customers, and their distribution facility focus efforts which retired 29,700 PCB capacitors;
● Dow Canada - 95 percent reduction in release of dioxins and furans from vinyl chloride monomer production. - baseline???;
● Goodyear Tire and Rubber’s efforts resulted in 15 plants in the U.S. and two in Canada PCB free;
● The U.S. pulp and paper industry dioxin virtual elimination program. As a result of their voluntary efforts, dioxins if they exist at all, are no longer measurable in bleach plant effluents, wastewater treatment plant sludges, or bleached kraft mill products.
The chlor-alkali industry mercury use reduction commitment, the steel industry mercury program, the auto industry commitment on PCB equipment phase-out are examples of new commitments made specifically as part of the GLBTS program. Other significant commitments from industry to establish virtual elimination goals or make substantial commitments to further reduce Level 1 PBT substance release include:
● Eastman Kodak’s commitment to virtually eliminate heavy metals cadmium, mercury, lead and chromium (VI) from their products.
● Dow’s commitment to reduce hexachlorobenzene (HCB) and mercury compound releases by 75 percent by 2005.
● Ontario Hydro - program which will result in the destruction of 81 percent of their PCB inventory by year 2006. This utility seeks to be PCB free by year 2015.
Industry sector collective voluntary programs such as the American Forest & Paper Association environmental principles and goals program, Automotive Pollution Prevention Program, the Chemical Industry Responsible Care Program, Wisconsin Paper Council/Wisconsin DNR P5 program, and Michigan Pulp and Paper Environmental Council/Michigan DEQ P5 program all serve as examples of voluntary programs which include elements that call for and result in the reduction of releases of GLBTS level one and level two substances. These reductions are cataloged and included in the GLBTS program as a result of CGLI’s contacts with sponsoring organizations.
CGLI also helped to determine and confirm the status of mercury use within the Great Lakes region, and to catalog the release of mercury from the manufacture and use of such products as household batteries, lighting lamps and equipment, thermostats, switches and relays. CGLI work with industry helped to identify potential sources of Octachlorostyrene in the Great Lakes Basin, as well.
There are no reports associated with this project.
Below is a list of organizations with individual contacts that are funding this project.
Organizations Receiving Funding
Below is a list of organizations with individual contacts that are receiving funding for this project.
Council of Great Lakes Industries - Primary Contact
P.O. Box 134006
Ann Arbor, Minnesota 48113-4006
p: (734) 663-1944
f: (734) 663-2424
Below is a list of associated organizations that are NOT giving or receiving funding for this project.
Dow Canada - Partner
450 - 1st Street S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 5H1
p: 1 403 267 3500
Dow Chemical Company - Partner
2030 Dow Center
Midland, Michigan 48674
p: (989) 636-1000
Eastman Kodak Company - Partner
343 State Street
Rochester, New York 14650
Goodyear Tire and Rubber - Partner
1144 East Market Street
Akron, Ohio 44316-0001
p: (330) 796-2121
Niagara Mohawk Corporation - Partner
300 Erie Blvd. West
Syracuse, New York 13202
Ontario Hydro - Partner
185 Clegg Rd.
Markham, Ontario L6G 1B7
p: (888) 664-9376
One East Hazelwood Drive; Champaign, IL; 61820; (800) 407-0261; email@example.com